Wednesday 2 October 2013

The Importance of being Oddjob

Now I am a little bit put out as everywhere we go with Oddjob everyone speaks to him and he just commands attention.

Why am I be put out by this? Well having had Border Collies all my life (except a lovely smooth collie cross) and with Rhyme my youngest being the most handsome dog in the whole world it amazes me the reaction we get with Oddjob :)

It doesn't phase Oddjob at all as he knows without a doubt that he is the most important dog of all time LOL.

He struts around full of his own importance, demanding and receiving attention.

A dog with such high importance and attention getting it without doing anything could potentially be a problem to train. You may remember the most attractive people from school expecting everything to be delivered to them just because they were beautiful and mostly getting it. Oops there I go talking about Rhyme again :)

Well not so with Oddjob (or Rhyme to be fair). He's a pug and pug's love to please. They are generally pleased just to be with you so they don't have to do anything really but Oddjob has already shown he likes the learning we are doing.

Of course Pugs love food so he does have higher motivation. Just to see if my feelings about his growing love of learning was correct I put his food bowl down with his breakfast in it then went and sat down with a small amount of his kibble. Then I took out the box I am asking him to put his feet into. He left his freely available food to join me in earning some :)

Good step one of teaching him to want to learn is well on the way. Next it's taking it on the road so he will offer behaviour in a different place. See below for his first time outside.

Still lots to play for - well doing something for a toy for starters and then doing things quicker etc.

BTW I bet you didn't know pugs are great retrievers and going by the rapid powerful head shake he gives on a tug I bet they were great dispensers of rodents too.





PS Speed of eating to ensure fluent rewarding can sometimes be a bit different :)

PPS I'm not sure if these videos have loaded correctly if not try

Cone work


Placement of paw





No comments:

Post a Comment