Thursday 26 September 2013

The Pug Tugs




Oddjob has decided that tugging is great fun and can tug with 3 different toys.

A Winnie the Pooh sucky blanket thing that I got from a charity shop, an old tug-e-nuff crazy thing bungee tug and an old bit of rope that may have once been attached to a ball or something. 

I have a couple of new toys bought especially for him which as yet he has not been bothered with so still work to do.

Writing this blog is useful for thinking of training as I have just realised we haven't done much on recalls yet. Probably just as well as he would have been really confused as we didn't even know his name for a couple of days :)

That said recall isn't an issue at the moment as he is a constant shadow.

Crate games are increasingly interesting as I think he knows what to do but also realises that eventually he will be shut in the crate so will do quite a few repetitions and then will suddenly stop. 

A breakthrough today was that he stopped spinning and just sat and thought about it for a while. I was tempted to reward the stillness as I do want to encourage the non spinning but surprisingly for me I stayed focussed and waited for him to go in to crate.

Another breakthrough was when we came back from the vets. I took him for a check over and the vet was pleased with him. He had a small lump on his head which the vet just pulled off - hence the hole in his head in video. On return from the vet I opened the back door into the utility room where all the collie's were. Oddjob just marched in and was not intimidated by them and they all greeted him like they were pleased he was back :)

It may still be a while before they let him join in any games if ever, and although that would be good it may be just as well. At the end of the day so long as they are happy to hang out together and Oddjob wants to play and interact with us that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment